Sunday, January 25, 2015

Garfish: Project

After a minor, Oh crap I lost it! Moment. I found the file that I have not touched in over a year.
Thankfully I found it on my back up drive and transferred it back to my computer. I started this little project back in late 2013. The goal was to send this file over to rapid proto-type company and have a 1/285 scaled Garfish for my table top. With the up coming release of Robotech RPG Tactics and the Macross Era doing so well, it would be only a matter of time before they look at bring in 3rd Generation to the table top.

The Garfish has always been one of my very favorite REF Designs in the series, the Beta fighter would be second. My first Garfish model I did was for the Starfleet Command 2 Game Engine and also for the Robotech MMO. It was my first break out model with Wings3D in the low poly field of ship designing.

So Robotech RPG Tactics finally becomes a reality and the Kickstarter Ended and all I can think about, is how cool would it be to have a scale Garfish on my table top. So I dug out my old low poly Garfish model and started looking at designing in all the details into the model. Because in low poly modeling you texture in details to save computer processing power. Needless to say, to place in all the details on a low poly model was a night mare. I gave it an attempt for a few hours and quickly realized it would be just easier to rebuild the Garfish from scratch in a high poly format.
Low poly models back in the day (90's) were under 6,000 triangles or less. High Poly was in excess of 20,000 triangles used to build your model. Currently my High Poly version is sitting just shy of 34,000 polys with a 3rd of the ship meshed in.

The Next hurdle besides finish meshing in the model would be breaking it apart so that I could print it and put it together. Learning how to design the model to have move able parts while not requiring added pieces to put together. I know it can be done, it is one of the coolest aspects of 3D Printing.

So eventually I will get back to finishing this ship. In the mean time I have been keeping a close watch on the new 3D Printers that are coming out this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment