Monday, July 24, 2017

6mm Building Terrain Offerings! I need input on your thoughts

I am doing a test print on my Hana Building this morning. I should know in the next 4 hours if it is going to print correctly.

So I have been racking my brain around how to give you guys what you want at a reasonable price.
Sounds easy right? lol

So on Shapeways this model is priced at $20 plus shipping! In which I am making $2 per unit sold.

Now take a good look at the picture.
This building should be printed in 3 hours and 33 minutes and costing $2.11 for the material used.
I do charge $1 by the print hour (rounding up) because of ware and tear on the machine and its parts.
So I feel I can offer this Model for $10 each not counting shipping. Which is an obvious savings of $10 and it gives me a earning of roughly $4 for my time.

My Big Hurdles I need to tackle is Production & Shipping.

Production: My 3D printer can only print so fast. I can do molds but lets put a pin on that thought for a later time. On a good day plus my full time job I might be able to turn out two of these buildings a day or 60 units a month.  I don't believe I currently have that sort of demand yet but you will understand more of this train of thought later on in this post.

Shipping: So I found  6 x 6 x 6 boxes which should work nicely for $2. Shipping with in the Untied States should be fairly easy and I would not expect it to cost more that $5. So for $7 I think this would cover shipping costs.

My Concern is International Shipping and pricing that out. I guess ultimately I would need a trusting soul to test that out.

My Plan

I am heavily looking into running a Patreon Account for Reckless Terrain.
They have a good payment system and integrated shipping information which would make doing this easier. The basic idea behind this, is a monthly subscription system so at the 1st of each month you will be charged for whatever reward you picked. Also by becoming a support of Reckless on Patreon
it will give you more direct access to me and what you want to see. I can do polls of the supporters and see what building they want to see next as a Reward for the next month. There is a better level of interaction between the creator and the supporters on Patreon that is really hard to beat.

The example rewards that I have been throwing around in my head.

$1 Month / Level 1 Rewards
-- Access to Vote on Future Rewards
-- Behind the Scenes Access to this whole process
-- Private Community to discuss what you would like to see
-- ????

$15 Month / Hana Building (Limited to 10 Supporters)
-- Same Rewards listed in Level 1
-- One 3D Printed Hana Building, Shipped Directly to you. (with in the USA)
-- Once the reward is paid out you will have to renew your support. This level does not auto renew each month.

These are just some very basic Rewards I have been thinking about. The higher end Rewards will change every month. There could be offerings of several buildings in a month with in reason due to production / time delays. It is honestly up to you, it is what you want. If people want more Star Wars Armada stuff there could be an offering on that.

There are Goals, I can also to help sweeten the offers.

So I need your thoughts on this matter. Please contact me about this.
email: jmartinson27   @  gmail  .com    Please Use the Title: Reckless in the subject matter so it does end up in spam. I just fired up a Reckless Terrain Twitter account this morning. If you want to reach me there.

Please Folks, if this is something you might be interested in spend the 5 minutes and send me a note.
I will be doing more than just buildings for Robotech. Count on Blood and Plunder Terrain, Battlestar Galactica game I have been working on, Arcadia Quest, Giant Killer Robots: Heavy Hitters. Star Wars Armada etc....

Its your voice! tell me the direction

The $1 a month reward would help off set possible shipping costs, failed prints and keep me in enough printing materials.

-----Up-Date-----
Remember that Print Time? Well it actually took 4hrs 42mn to print.

No comments:

Post a Comment