Sunday, January 11, 2015

Robotech Academy's Swordfish

This is something that I just have to share with you all.

About 10 years ago I was one of the Modelers for the Robotech MMO Project. In our attempt to produce this game I had do some concept work to help fill the rank and file of the REF Fleet.

One of these was the Lionfish, excuse the picture this is not my best texturing and this is still a very low poly model.




When they announced Robotech Academy they showed off this new ship called the Swordfish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG8LNqZ9sgs

When I saw this design, I could not believe it. I was so awe struck and flattered that they based their Swordfish off of my old Lionfish model. To see some of your old concept work that never seen the light of day in the game it was designed for now coming back up to the surface after so long. There was just no words for it! Happily ecstatic to see the design welcomed into the Franchise.

I never got any confirmation if this was in deed the case. Well that was until last week when Douglas Wootan from HG was finally able to track me down. Douglas told me it was hard to rebuild the ship design off the only picture they had of it. But Caser's team did a nice job of cleaning up the lines of the model and making it there own.

Douglas and I chatted for awhile and from what I understand he is building a table top for a convention that is coming up.  He requested another version of the Dragon Restaurant which is up at Shapeways but not available for sale until after the convention is over. He also purchased a few other items for the table as well. I can't wait to see how it is going to turn out.




No comments:

Post a Comment