Thursday, February 26, 2015

Blast From the Past

Since people are starting to really want a Fleet Scale Game for Robotech. I thought it would be a good time to knock the dust off these models and take a quick picture of them. This is just a sample of a few of the ships I have on hand. I still have an SDF-1 I need to finish up and several Zentraedi ships that are too low poly for even my taste.

So I took the Izumo and scaled it out to 1:10,000 just to see how much Shapeways would price it out. Well it priced out at $70. Granted its  4.8 inches long , 2.4 inches wide and almost 2 inches high.
If you take into account that this model is not hollow but just a solid mass, the pricing isn't bad. After all this is a Flagship and also known as the SDF-4 for many. But with a little bit of work, I know I could easily shave off a good $10 in price. Now for me a $60 ship is still way to highly priced unless it has a ton of detail. Currently most of these ships are in low poly format. No detail built into them other than, their body shape. turrets and weapon systems.  It wouldn't take much to start adding in the details. The issue with most of these ships is going to be wall thickness issues due to the thruster fins and even the thrusters them selves. Many of these parts would need to be reworked so it could print.

Anyways, I think this is very do-able the biggest problem that needs to be faced is what Scale do you do it in? And each race would most likely need to be in different scales to be able to make this work.

No comments:

Post a Comment