Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Booster: Day Four

Well I never thought the crew compartment area would take this long. Sort of a tricky shape to keep those rounded features. I thinned down the side railings, which may bite me in the but when it comes to wall thickness checks in Shapeways. I left the ladder close to 1mm thick so it shouldn't break right off in printing. Added the front bumpers, I think I am going to add in more undercarriage detail to how these connect to the crawlers main body later. Got a good number of the front detailing in place. I am hoping that it is relatively flush enough with the hull that it will avoid wall thickness errors. I know the gaps between walls are not bigger than .03mm. 
 
Over all it is coming along nicely. I know when it comes time for the crane arm, that this one item alone will burn up a lot of time .So I am planning on doing two arms for it.  I am going to cut into the mesh so an arm can lay in place and if you want a fully extended arm you could just remove it and place the extended in its spot. When it gets closer to doing the Launching Arm, I want to design it so the Booster can securing mate to it. Allowing anyone to remove the Booster from the Crawler. I will also look into a flight stand for the Booster as well.
 
It is never as simple as all I need to do is build a Crawler and Booster. Nope, I start thinking of things I would want to do to it. Might as well design those features into the Mesh instead of an after thought. If its not do able its not do able, but I will give it a good effort before giving up on the idea.
 
I should focus on the suspension and gearing for the tracks tomorrow if I can find the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment